A list of handy tips when your lights go out power outage
1. Sit for a moment – your eyes need time to adjust to low light conditions
2. Where are your alternative light sources? Torches, solar lights, headlamps, candles, crank powered lights, glow sticks
3. Turn off all appliances, computers and lights
4. Check on your neighbours – are they OK?
Do they have power? If so, check your safety switch.
Has it been tripped?
5. Check your mobile phone – how much charge do you have?
6. If your neighbours have no power, check the rest of your street if possible
7. Social media
Keep in touch with local friends via SMS/text message/twitter/facebook and share information
9. Is it meal time soon? How will you cook or make hot drinks if you don’t have a gas stove? Think BBQ or camping stove, have a thermos on hand to keep liquids hot
Plan for the next few hours – what will you need?
Travel – getting safely around your home, to your neighbours, the local store if required
Tips for getting through a power outage safely:
Be careful around candles, keep them away from flammable materials, small children and pets. Use other light sources if possible
Dress warmly – a hat, coat and gloves are ideal. If you are seated/lying down, wrap yourself in a throw rug or blanket
Gather in a smaller room to conserve heat
Make sure your appliances and electric lights are turned off – and shut down your computer
Keep your energy up – stay warm, eat regular meals, stay hydrated
Report life threatening emergencies and extreme storm activity to 000 Aus / 999 UK / 911 USA
If you are going to read – protect your eyes by using torches or solar powered lights – not candles
You might also like to read … Fun things to do during a power outage
more blog posts can also be found on the Wake up on Earth weekly post
Would you like to donate a solar powerd brick pack to Fiji ,Papua New Guinea or Rwanda ?
Simply buy a 6 pack of solar bricks and we will take a 7th solar brick from our own stock and donate it on your behalf from wake up on earth to the country of your choice.
Solar light brick Solar light Brick
If you dont want to donate anything and just want to buy a 6 pack of solar bricks
Simply use this discount code Wake up on earth 4 on checkout and we will give you 10% off plus we will still donate a 7th brick from our own stock and you dont have to choose which country it goes to, we can do that for you. How to use your discount code